Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Adore Giffen goods...does it make sense?

I just remembered an economic concept and started thinking about it and really want to share it.

Since I studied Economics in college, that should mean I am an economist. So, let me have my economist moment:

In Economics, there is a concept named 'Giffen good' which is a good/item that is more demanded when its price increases (while everything else in the world remains the same). In other words, if a beautiful dress has its price augmented, more people want to buy it. Does this behaviour make any sense to you? For me, it doesn't.

But many, many times I am caught wanting the most expensive clothes, shoes, meals, clubs, makes, gadgets, bijoux, etcetera. Do I really want it for what it is or the highest price offers me a sinful delight?

No comments: